How Do I Get My Home Ready To Sell?
l Edge, mow and fertilize the lawn. Reseed sparse areas.
1. Use a power edger or weed wacker
2. Go along straight lines and right angels
3. Walk and hold the tool completely level and rigid
4. Walk on sidewalk if possible to get your edge
5. Go slow and steady
6. Use a "half moon" edge tool if need be
Helpful Link: Edge a Lawn
l Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery.
1. Early Spring Flowers should be trimmed right after they bloom
2. Summer flowering plants should be clipped in wither or early spring
3. Non-flowering plants trim after new growth has formed
Helpful Link: How to Prune, Trim and Shape Your Shrubs
l Reseal cracks in foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios. Power-wash the exterior.
1. Clean driveway
2. Patch cracks & h oles
3. Clean the driveway and mix the sealant
4. Seal edge by hand
5. Pour sealant along edge
6. Apply a second coat
Helpful Link: How to Repair and Reseal a Driveway
l Clean and align gutters and downspouts; clean the chimney.
1. Inspect the gutter
2. Check the water flow
3. Determine the cause of slow drainage
4. Re-align the gutters
5. Replace gutter selection
Helpful Link: How to Re-Align Rain Gutters
l Remove oil stains from driveway and garage. Keep walks and driveway swept or free of ice.
1. Fresh stain use a poultice method
2. Small stain use a household detergent
3. Large stain use a degreaser or microbial cleaner
Helpful Link: How to Clean Oil Off a Driveway
l Wash the windows inside and out.
1. Clean when the sun isn't shining directly on the windows
2. Brush windows and frames with a soft-bristled brush
3. Mix solution of 1 part vinegar and 1 part hot water
4. Use sponge with solution to remove dirt
5. Wet the squeegee
6. Start at the upper pane of the window working your way down the window
7. Wipe frames with a cloth dampened with a all-purpose cleaner
Helpful Link: Window Cleaning Made Simple
l Hire a cleaning service to thoroughly clean the interior.
1. Do your research on possible companies to hire
2. Figure out your moving schedule
3. Have a list of questions prepared to ask the cleaning companies
4. Give them a tour of the property
5. Inspect the job and tip the staff
l Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
1. Surface crack repair
2. Deep crack repair
3. Nail pop repair
4. Corner bead repair
5. Hole repair
6. Large section repairs
Helpful Link: How to Repair Cracks and Holes in Drywall
l Replace damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork.
1. Replace broken glass from around the window with pliers
2. Use a putty knife or paint scraper to remove glazing
3. Measure the window opening, and have a piece of glass cut slightly smaller to fit
4. Place the new glass pane in the opening
5. Press glaziers points into the frame around the window
6. Apply window glazing
7. Smooth the glazing compound.
Helpful Link: Replacing a Broken Window Pane